May 9 Update
Blog post #2
We woke up to 3 inches of snow. It started Monday night. It was about 9pm driving up the mountain in the blowing snow and dark we came to the conclusion that we had better start our supply runs at the crack of dawn. There were rocks in the road and lucky for us no trees. But we will be traveling with a chain saw for now on. Trees seem to go down pretty frequently.
The weather was not desirable today. But we were fortunate that it was warm enough to melt off pretty quick. We have very little snow left. But mud… well that’s another story. The mud is so thick and deep. A few projects have been delayed due to weather.
The water we had flowing down to the animals dried up. We were diverting run off so now we have to move our set up a little tomorrow to resume flow. We’re trying to stay out of my dads way as he is the mastermind behind the spring box. Having water flowing into camp to fill our tanks so we can shower, do dishes and laundry has been amazing, and we are eager to get it back up and running.
Right now I’d say the biggest annoyance is the lack of sun. Laundry dries in the sun! The rain and snow are not conducive to success in the laundry department. And since we’re slipping through mud all day it’s quite a bother. 😆



Today was a wonderful change! We had sun! I ran out of room on my three clothes lines. 😑 I also got an outrageous reality check… I never liked laundry as a chore before with an electric
Washer… and I sure as hell don’t like it better now! We have a Lavario- look that up so you can giggle and fall more madly in love with your electric washer. I use the hose we have hooked up to the spring and fill the basket. Then add soap and the fun begins! 15 minutes is supposed to be adequate to wash your small load. But I can assure you it is not! We are filthy animals who have been sliding through mud for a week. 15 minutes is a warm up… hand wringing is fun too in case you were wondering about that. 😆


Amber and I put the greenhouse up today! The sun made it hot work! But man it was nice to not be soaking wet and muddy. (In the picture above you can see my washing machine in the bottom right corner.) We are going to dig up some dirt tomorrow and fill up our starter trays and let them sit in the green house overnight. We want to make sure the green house will keep the soil warm before taking any risks that may endanger our seeds.


Our solar is up and functional! I can’t believe it! The sound of generators was getting a wee bit old. Not to mention the fuel usage was a real drag! I am currently cooking dinner with lights on for a change! 🤣 Before the lights were pretty dim. Life is starting to feel a little more normal. And I feel less like we are scrambling to keep up. Today marks one week! I can’t believe it. It’s honestly felt longer but also shorter.. 🤷🏻♀️ We blinked, now it’s been a week.

Monday we are having our tractor delivered. We will have a post hole digger, a brush hog and a back hoe attachment. We are thrilled! This means we can carve out the road to the top part of the property and begin work on a barn and move our trailers up top! It’s so gorgeous up there. Ahhh I can’t wait!
Dad comes back tomorrow night. We have missed having him around. He is bringing back a dump trailer that we bought from my father in law. We will be able to start hauling in gravel from the local guy up here. He has a gravel pit all the way up here, so we have pretty good access to gravel so we can work on our disaster of a driveway. The images below are the current state of things. We have had to drive a vehicle up to the neighbors place and park on days when its more dry then take the quad up the next day if we’re planning to go to town. If we know we’re leaving in the next day or two we have to plan ahead and get a vehicle out of the mud pit we are currently calling home. 😂 We are all loving it out here… but the mud is for sure making us salty.


Well today is the day!! We’re off to inspect and if all goes well, have our tractor delivered! We were up bright and early, we have to shuttle via quad up to the truck. We were fortunate to be able to actually get a break in rain and a little sun came out and made the mud navigable. 30 degree morning racing up a muddy hillside are lovely. 😂 I’ll add photos below of where we parked our truck so that we could come into town today. It’s a gorgeous view.


The kids are still doing amazing. They sleep like they are in a medically induced coma for naps and bedtime. The fresh air really wears them out, or maybe it’s all the hills? All I know is when they have children… they will literally get to tell them they walked up hill both ways! 😂 Because EVERYTHING here is up hill. 😂 In a few months we will all have fantastic glutes. We will soon resemble billy goats!

There is a insane amount of deer and elk up here. We run into them constantly up here. Sometimes we see white tail and elk hanging out in the same field.


Took some time to sit down and snuggle the pups. Axle is very jealous 😂 I had to give Sig separate cuddles and Axle looked very offended, I think loving on Sig pig hurt his feelings. Axle is a bit food aggressive, so feeding times he gets lots of touch and snuggles. Sig has pretty good manners and typically will relinquish any food if you try to take it. We hand fed him a lot as a puppy and that helped a lot toward not being bothered by other people or animals coming near his food. So we are working on that, these boys are going to be side by side a lot and separate feedings are a bother. The patience it took to get them to this point was exhausting. It hasn’t been that long, but I was already stressed to the Max with the move, so it was a bit gluttonous to add a puppy to the mixture! But here we are! I love my sweet boy, I am looking forward to him learning to like everyone. He absolutely hates Garret. Which is so weird! Garret tried to makes friends with him early on and now randomly he barks his fool head off and paces whenever Garret is nearby. He definitely has some weird quirks still. Sig is a handsome beast as usual. He’s such a. Good boy. We had a night that poured rain all night. His bed inside his covered kennel got soaked and he decided he was fed up. So he jumped the fence in the middle of the night and crawled into our tarp storage building and stayed the night. I was pretty panicked and then he came up behind me and nudged me. I was impressed that he stuck around the animals when he could have gone anywhere he wanted and we would have never known. Hilariously he bedded down and cuddled the bags of dog food from what I could tell when I went into the shed. 😂
We are looking forward to better weather! The Rain and random snow is not welcome anymore! We are also looking forward weather permitting for Alex to go pick up my parent 5th wheel so my mom can join us! Starting the garden without her just felt wrong!
Well I think that’s all for this week! I’m trying to have updates every Monday! But who knows how long that will last since I usually don’t know what day it is… or what time it is..🤷🏻♀️🤘🏽
◦
Comments
Post a Comment