June 19
Today was Father Day! We had a leisure day, the guys didn’t work their butts off all day which is the first. We stay pretty busy so a complete day off is weird.
Yesterday the guys finished the goat house! It has a few finishing touches to fix but it’s fantastic! The goats are out of the drafty trailer. And the chickens now have more room to roost at night. Sig also has more places to hang out while he’s on duty at night because we can leave the big part of the trailer open. So everyone is moving up in the world just a bit.
Next order of business in the animal world is a guinea house and a lean-to for the chickens. Then the big red trailer will be completely out of the picture! While the trailer has been a place holder and housed the animals when we arrived, I have been itching to get them out of there. They have been sleeping and laying eggs underneath and we even had one of our roosters crawl under there and die. So that trailer needs to go! We can't monitor their health while the trailer is still present because they hide under it all the time. Right when we got here I found out that the chickens had lice! I was horrified. Still am....My thoughts are that they must've gotten it from the wild birds. They were landing in the pen a lot and hanging around a lot at first. Now the dogs chase them off, but in the very beginning the dogs were not in the pen full time as they were still not used to each other and were still becoming friends. But anyway, the trailer makes medicating them a serious hassle. I will be happy once it is parked elsewhere and I can go back to regularly monitoring them when they go to roost at night. I feel like we have eradicated the nasty infestation, but until they are all accessible to inspect from the roost each night I won't know for sure.
We have made huge progress on the garden! I posted in an earlier photo back in one of my first posts, the change has blown me away! This garden will be glorious and full next year. This year we are playing catch up. We have some soil issues. We did a little experimenting with the different soils we have seen on the property and overall we are neither impressed nor discouraged. But it has shown us that our compost game is going to have to be pretty hardcore. We currently have a compost for all the soiled animal bedding. So that will be ready for us next year as it is too hot to use right now. Mom has been the primary person in the garden. She has been working so hard!! I’m so proud of her, she has transformed the space in such a small time. Between classes with my kids, laundry and general cleaning plus animal chores it’s hard to get into the garden with mom as much as I’d like. Gwen has been busier than usual and keeping Amber really busy as well. So mom has been a one woman show pretty much. My husbands been in there working his butt off too. He built some giant raised beds that are 3ft deep and they are fantastic! It will be so exciting to see our crops pop up in that bed again and again every year. Today I took my mom an iced coffee out to the garden, like I said she’s been heading up so much of the work out there. I was trying to get Clay down for a nap but wanted to take her a treat since she was working so hard and I felt bad that I couldn’t be out there beside her. So I take her the coffee and tell her I’ll be out as soon at I can then I believed I complained a little about the the lengthy attempts to put my youngest to bed. She just laughed at me and said “ I did my time, now I get to play in the dirt!” 😂 Way to rub it in mom! Now I don’t feel so bad that she’s working in the hot sun and dirt… she’s clearly having a blast.Something we have just had to accept in the last few weeks is that realistically we are setting ourselves up for next year. We will be grateful for whatever we get this year. But the reality is that we were unable to get all the garden things going in a timely manner so we are playing catch up. We will have a bountiful garden and later a year round subterranean green house that will provide for us into the winter months. We have broken ground on that and will be putting our corner posts in this week! We have been waiting for them to finish soaking, we are pretreating them to avoid rotting and hopefully this greenhouse will last us at least 10 years.
A continuous battle we face is a lack of lumber. Before each project we have to map out our lumber needs. First the tree is chosen. Then its falls! Garret fell the last one and it was a big boy! It was also rather near my trailer and our animals so I am very thankful it went right where he wanted it and not in any other direction! After the tree is down it has to be limbed. We have a pretty large pile of tree limbs right now, the goats have been enjoying the ones we toss into the paddock. We will have our wood chipper up here at the end of the month so we will be able to begin work on all the limbs, they will work nicely for bedding for the animals once they have gone through the chipper.
This bad boy went down a few weeks ago and has been supplying us with lumber for our garden projects thus far. (This is the above mentioned tree Garret cut down)
Update on our truck! We get our truck back after over a month of it being in the shop waiting for a new engine. Ours blew while making the final trip up the mountain with my parents trailer. We are going into town Monday to pick it up. We will be registering it as well, so we are a little bit closer to being officially no longer Oregonians.
Comments
Post a Comment